PA Modern Mopar Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maggie is here to stay...

4 posters

Go down

Maggie is here to stay... Empty Maggie is here to stay...

Post by MoparJ Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:59 pm

So I'm not letting go of the Magnum. Just couldn't do it. I'd miss the power too much.

Anyway, I was able to let go of some miscellaneous stuff from other hobbies and free up some parts money.

I just bought a stock SRT 3.06 (non getrag) diff, halfshafts, hubs, and rear section of driveshaft to replace my lame 2.82. I don't plan on drag racing the car (maybe here and there, but not with DR), so I think it will hold up just fine for awhile. Should be here next week, Friday if I'm lucky.

Next, I'm looking at doing a Brembo swap, or maybe a brand new Wilwood setup if I can swing it. Wilwood setup is more, but are better brakes, super light 2pc rotors, come in my preferred color black, and fit under my stock R/T wheels (winter time). However, I would do the Brembo swap if the price was right and could find everything I need in one package (I'm not trying to wait 6 months to piece it all together and end up spending near what the Wilwoods would be).

I'm also going to get an MTCM for now as well, and probably will stay away from torque converter since I won't be on the drag strip much/if at all and don't need to lower my MPG any more (especially now that I'm putting in the 3.06). I'll have to learn to take it easy and stop speeding to keep my MPG up :-)

If anybody knows someone with a full brembo swap they're looking to sell (calipers, knuckles, etc...), or has seen any good deals on one, let me know. I hope to make a decision on brakes next week sometime (Xmas present for myself, haha).
MoparJ
MoparJ

Back to top Go down

Maggie is here to stay... Empty Re: Maggie is here to stay...

Post by RTCHAS Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:37 am

Good News! Glad you didnt cave and buy a Prius Laughing
RTCHAS
RTCHAS

Back to top Go down

Post by MoparJ Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:18 am

Come on now Chas... I wouldn't have done that. I laugh every time I see one. I just don't understand why most hybrids have to look so ridiculous. It took manufacturers way too long to start making hybrid versions of existing models. I guess people just want the attention. Hmmm... sounds familiar :-)

I did a little testing with MPG this morning by following these rules... (as best as I could)
1. Don't floor it (hardest part)
2. Don't go over 70-75mph (stayed below 70 for the most part)
3. Gently accelerate after slowing down for traffic

Luckily there wasn't any stop and go traffic because of the holidays so I was able to get 18mpg! For me, that is way better than my normal 11.5-12mpg. I figured I better start practicing these things before I get the 3.06 in there and hopefully the habits will stick :-)
MoparJ
MoparJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RTCHAS Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:34 am

Good Deal I can never stick to "normal" driving habit's I love the roar of my V-8 in the Dakota R/T to much.. Laughing Sometimes I am chill and get 14mpg in it but thats rare..lol
RTCHAS
RTCHAS

Back to top Go down

Post by MoparJ Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:44 pm

Yeah, that tank finally averaged out to be about 14mpg. If I exclusively drove on the highway, I may be able to increase it a bit. I also let my car warm up for at least 5 minutes each morning, so that doesn't help my overall mileage.
MoparJ
MoparJ

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistr Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:44 pm

The MTCM will make the car more fun but it won't make your mpgs any better, possibly worse. For highway use the MTCM keeps the trans in 4th, you'll have to manually bump the trans in and out of 5th.
sinistr
sinistr

Back to top Go down

Post by MoparJ Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:58 pm

sinistr wrote:For highway use the MTCM keeps the trans in 4th, you'll have to manually bump the trans in and out of 5th.

I did not know that... Hmmm... I'll have to think about it. Thanks for the info.

Check out the Off Topic section, I'll be posting up something that may change things affraid
MoparJ
MoparJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Series 5 Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:30 pm

sinistr wrote:The MTCM will make the car more fun but it won't make your mpgs any better, possibly worse. For highway use the MTCM keeps the trans in 4th, you'll have to manually bump the trans in and out of 5th.

Why is the MTCM setup to only run in 4th gear? Just trying to learn something here.
Series 5
Series 5

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistr Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:46 pm

Series 5 wrote:
sinistr wrote:The MTCM will make the car more fun but it won't make your mpgs any better, possibly worse. For highway use the MTCM keeps the trans in 4th, you'll have to manually bump the trans in and out of 5th.

Why is the MTCM setup to only run in 4th gear? Just trying to learn something here.

I'm not really sure Bill. When driving it'll shift1-4 and then hold it in 4th. 5th essentially od needs to be shifted in and out manually.
sinistr
sinistr

Back to top Go down

Post by Series 5 Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks John, I wonder if the owner's manual has any information.
Series 5
Series 5

Back to top Go down

Post by sinistr Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:13 pm

Series 5 wrote:Thanks John, I wonder if the owner's manual has any information.

I'll have to take a look. If I remember correctly the manual just outlined the install and the drivecycle that needs to be completed so that it shifts correctly.
sinistr
sinistr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down